Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Middle-wing?

Why does every issue presented in the news have to be a polarizing issue? Republican or Democrat? They might as well conclude stories with a table, one column red, one blue, filled with sentences describing how you feel depending on your party. Sometimes I feel the most renegade, looked-down-upon affiliation is no affiliation at all. Picking this non-party is a tough call in a society where "picking a side and sticking to it" is viewed in such a positive light.


I am not sure why I have been thinking about this so much lately. I have seen blogs hammer this out many times in the past. I guess it just struck me the other day that I can scorn or respect a senator with an R by his/her name just as easily as one with a D.


Barring some drastic change, it is high fantasy to think that we will have elections in the near future where there are more than two parties who are legitimate contenders. I am not a fan of wasting a vote, so the only way I can see to get diversity and move a step closer to an objective government is to not have my mind made up by a party. Is this blasphemous for a red-blooded, rural raised American to not vote a party line? I don't think so, and freedom lets me decide.


You don't hear people referring to the crazy centrist movement, and you never will. Why is that? Because sitting on or around the fulcrum yields little motion, and motion makes news. So I will continue the unglamorous life of someone who makes up their mind based on facts rather than the formulaic, gut-stirring jargon puked by pundits far left and right.


Sorry if this offends some, but it really shouldn't. If you are reading this you are likely someone I particularly like, and your politics would never factor into your meaning to me. I value the people in my life and am amazed at their intelligent diversity. It takes all of us bringing our informed minds to the table to create effective legislation and a government for the people. I am just thinking and typing, something I thoroughly enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Right on man! Think for your self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. One of the things I like best is that just because you clearly choose to not be a screaming extremist does NOT mean you choose to be passive about what happens in our democracy. We need more actively involved centrists. (At one point I almost went with the title "Radical Moderates" for my book. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, you really sum up how I feel about politics. When I was 20 I changed my party affiliation from Democrat to Independent (not the party...) and I have sat there ever since.

    I would like a politician who represents who I am, but I don't think people like me can exist as politicians, so I am always searching.

    ReplyDelete